Wednesday, August 7, 2019
My husband has been known to call me "Juanita" for my devotion and deep love for Tex-Mex cuisine. To date I'm sure I've had more meals of Nachos than any other dish. How can you not LOVE Tex-Mex? At it's best, it's fresh, loaded with veggies, and combines so many flavors and textures! And, there are infinite combinations of ingredients to keep you coming back for more and more and more....
Sadly, many people have only had the lower quality, not so fresh, industrial versions ..... even I purchased a bag of frozen Burritos last week, to have a easy breezy dinner option for the fam on one of our hectic (or just really tired!) nights.
It was good. Don't get me wrong, it was fast and easy and fed us and tasted okay. But with each bite I just kept thinking how easy it would have been for me to make the same dish myself, with better and fresher ingredients.
And, so, last night when I was staring at the leftover Rotisserie Chicken from the night before, I saw my chance to just go for it = mission a total success, we ALL loved it! Highly likely going into the weekly rotation!
Yes, Tex-Mex can be a part of a healthy diet....lean proteins, lots of veggies, and all the delicious MUFAs in the Avocados!!
And my Burritos had another health bonus = total portion control! There are four of us, so I made 4 Burritos! I'm sure we all would have gone for a second one without question (yes, it was THAT GOOD!), but one was actually plenty filling especially after adding in all the yummy Guacamole and some fresh fruit!
AND, it was EASY! And came together pretty fast because of the Rotisserie Chicken. So, these are the ingredients I used.....
-1/2 of a leftover Rotisserie Chicken, chopped
-1 can Black Beans, drained/ rinsed
-1.5-2 cups freshly grated White New York Cheddar cheese
-1 handful of fresh Cilantro, chopped
-Jar of Organic Salsa
-4 Flour Tortillas (gonna try Corn Tortillas next time!)
-1 Tbsp melted butter - YES I DID! #totallyworthit!
-All Natural store bought Guacamole
AND, this is what I did....
1. preheated oven to 375
2. covered large square casserole dish with Canola Oil spray
3. lightly toasted the Flour Tortillas on both sides, on my stove (gas cooking rocks!)
4. mixed chicken, beans, salsa, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and cilantro all together in a large glass bowl
5. filled each tortilla with chicken bean mixture, and then rolled it up and laid them seam side down into casserole dish
6. brushed the tops of the rolled Tortillas with butter
7. put into oven (not covered) for 10-15 minutes, when I could smell the butter toasted on top....
8. I removed the casserole dish and put the rest of the shredded cheese on top and covered it and put it back into the oven to finish baking - another 10-15 minutes (keep an eye on it!)
9. Let it cool a few minutes - and then plated the Burritos, topped with more Cilantro, more Salsa and plenty of Guacamole!
And, it came together pretty fast because I used leftover (already cooked!) chicken, store bought Salsa & Guacamole. Of course I could have made those from scratch, but I was really trying to replicate the ease and speed of store bought Burritos - on a busy/ tired night - this wins hands down, enjoy!!